Descendants of David Howenstine
Generation No. 1
1. DAVID2 HOWENSTINE (JACOB1 HAUENSTEIN) was born March 5, 1798 in Lancaster Co, PA, and died December 11, 1873 in Lawrence Township, Stark Co, Ohio. He married MAGDALENA COOK Abt. 1816.
Notes for DAVID HOWENSTINE:
David and Magdalina are both buried at Marshallville Cemetary. Birth and death dates are taken from the headstones. Cousin Eleanor Klump Billau reports that the stones are barely legible and all have different spellings of "Howenstine".
Record of birth found by Eleanor in "PA Births Lancaster Co, 1778-1800." By John t. Humphrey.
Children of DAVID HOWENSTINE and MAGDALENA COOK are:
2. i. JACOB3 HOWENSTINE, b. December 27, 1818, Carlisle, Cumberland, Pa; d. September 3, 1901, Lambertville, Monroe Co, Mich.
ii. DAVID HOWENSTINE 2.
iii. ADAM HOWENSTINE, b. September 12, 1836; d. October 12, 1863, buried in Marshallville Cem,Baughman Twp, Wayne Co, OH.
Notes for ADAM HOWENSTINE:
Adam Howenstine killed in civil war
iv. MARY HOWENSTINE.
v. MARGARET HOWENSTINE, m. MR. HENNINGER.
vi. KATHRYN HOWENSTINE.
vii. SUSANNAH HOWENSTINE, b. 1821, PA; m. HENRY SPRANKEL.
viii. JOHN HOWENSTINE, b. 1820, PA; m. LYDIA BROUGHER.
ix. PAULINE HOWENSTINE, m. MR. SPADE.
x. ELLEN HOWENSTINE, d. Bef. 1874; m. MR. FLICKER.
xi. MAGDALINA HOWENSTINE.Generation No. 2
2. JACOB3 HOWENSTINE (DAVID2, JACOB1 HAUENSTEIN) was born December 27, 1818 in Carlisle, Cumberland, Pa, and died September 3, 1901 in Lambertville, Monroe Co, Mich. He married NANCY JACKSON February 18, 1841 in Stark County,Ohio, daughter of JAMES JACKSON and SARAH STOUT.
Notes for JACOB HOWENSTINE:
Buried next to Baby David (my brother) at Lambertville Cemetary. Have marriage record from Stark County, OH. Vol. B, pg. 136.
Children of JACOB HOWENSTINE and NANCY JACKSON are:
3. i. WILLIAM HENRY4 HOWENSTINE, b. 1852; d. 1921, Lambertville, Monroe Co, Mich.
4. ii. SARAH JANE HOWENSTINE, b. January 25, 1842.
5. iii. DAVID HOWENSTINE, b. 1844, Lawrence Township,Stark Co. OH.
iv. ALBERT HOWENSTINE, b. 1847; d. January 24, 1872, lambertville, Mich.
v. RACHEL ELLEN HOWENSTINE, b. January 27, 1850.
vi. J KELLY HOWENSTINE, b. 1855.
Notes for J KELLY HOWENSTINE:
DIED 1872 AFTER MOVING TO LAMBERTVILLE OF TYPHIOD FEVER. 17 YEARS OLD.MARY MAGDELENA REMEMBERED HIM BEGGING FOR WATER, BUT DOCTOR SAID NO. SHE WISHED ALL HER LIFE SHE WOULD HAVE GIVEN HIM WATER. SHE WAS 10 YEARS OLD.
vii. WESLEY HOWENSTINE.
viii. CLARA EMMA HOWENSTINE, b. 1860; d. 1941; m. WASHINGTON THORTON.
Notes for CLARA EMMA HOWENSTINE:
Aunt Leota Sparks inheireted alot of Clara Emma's antiques. "Em" was a great quilter.
ix. FRANKLIN LUTHROW HOWENSTINE.
Notes for FRANKLIN LUTHROW HOWENSTINE:
Franklin was an optomitrist and jeweler. He moved to Los Angeles.
6. x. MARY MAGDELENA HOWENSTINE, b. 1862; d. 1954, Lambertville, Mich.
xi. LUCY HOWENSTINE, m. WILLIAM HOBART.
Generation No. 3
3. WILLIAM HENRY4 HOWENSTINE (JACOB3, DAVID2, JACOB1 HAUENSTEIN) was born 1852, and died 1921 in Lambertville, Monroe Co, Mich. He married ELLEN MARY YOUNG February 22, 1876 in Whiteford Center, Monroe, MI, daughter of LORENZO YOUNG and MAGDALINA MACKEY.
Child of WILLIAM HOWENSTINE and ELLEN YOUNG is:
i. ETHEL LEA5 HOWENSTINE, b. August 15, 1880; d. August 1969, LAMBERTVILLE,MONROE MICH; m. DANIEL THURMAN KNEPPER, Abt. 1904, ?Monroe County, MI.
Notes for ETHEL LEA HOWENSTINE:
Alternate spellings of HOWENSTINE; HOWENSTEIN; HOENSTINE; HOENSTEIN; HOHENSTINE;
HOHENSTEIN; HOLLENSTINE; HOLLENSTEIN
Ethel was an insurance agent and also very active in Eastern Star. A large photograph of her hangs at the IOOF Hall in Lambertville, right across the street from the cemetary.
Her address at the time of her death was 8140 Summerfield Road, Lambertville, MI. She died of a cerebral thombrosis.
Notes for DANIEL THURMAN KNEPPER:
Recieved information of his birth date from Grand Lodge-Masonic Temple of Michigan. He was member of Samaria Lodge from 1919 to his death in 1951.
Daniel was an independent insurance agent. Have several photographs of Daniel at various reunions. He worked diligently on a Victory Garden, of which I am lucky enough to have a photo. His cause of death was cerebral hemorrhage.
4. SARAH JANE4 HOWENSTINE (JACOB3, DAVID2, JACOB1 HAUENSTEIN) was born January 25, 1842. She married SOLOMON CLAPPER.
Children of SARAH HOWENSTINE and SOLOMON CLAPPER are:
5. DAVID4 HOWENSTINE (JACOB3, DAVID2, JACOB1 HAUENSTEIN) was born 1844 in Lawrence Township,Stark Co. OH. He married MARTHA E. VAN KIRK.
Notes for DAVID HOWENSTINE:
David was born in Stark Co, OH. He lived in Wooster, and was a veteran of the Civil War. In addition to being a jeweler, he also made grandfather clocks and furniture. His jewelry business was in Mansfield, OH.
Children of DAVID HOWENSTINE and MARTHA VAN KIRK are:
6. MARY MAGDELENA4 HOWENSTINE (JACOB3, DAVID2, JACOB1 HAUENSTEIN) was born 1862, and died 1954 in Lambertville, Mich. She married JOHN SIMON KLUMP November 1882.
Child of MARY HOWENSTINE and JOHN KLUMP is: